Used to measure Mecury Exposure.
Acute and chronic mercury poisoning affects the kidneys, central nervous system, and the gastrointestinal tract. The three telltale symptoms of mercury poisoning are impaired articulation, irregularity of muscular action, and constricted visual fields. Mercury poisoning through chronic exposure to metallic and inorganic forms of mercury generally produces nervousness, lassitude, tremor, and mucous membrane irritation.
Chronic inorganic mercury poisoning is an occupational disease of smelters, mercury miners, gilders, and factory workers. Inhalation of mercury vapors may lead to pneumonitis, cough, fever, and other pulmonary symptoms. The most reliable way to measure exposure to inorganic mercury is to measure urinary mercury levels. Correlation between urine levels and symptoms is poor, however.
The most common nonindustrial source of mercury poisoning is the consumption of methyl mercury-contaminated fish.